2.22.2010

Projects

Well I don't know if it is because I'm for the most part a stay-at-home mom now.... or if it was my nesting instincts kicking in.... or just the fact that I'm getting older... but lately I've become domesticated. I've been overly motivated to make things for my children and to create experiences for them that will be meaningful.

It started around the holidays... I wanted to make sugar cookies with Dakota. We cut them out like snowflakes and then decorated them with pink strawberry frosting and red and white candy crystal glitter. Dakota had so much fun rolling out the dough and placing the cookie cutter down into it. And they actually turned out pretty good! **Disclaimer: I made these from a mix, not from scratch**

Then I finished a blanket for Dakota that my mom and I started before she was born. It's a toddler rag quilt for her toddler bed. Thanks to my mom for helping me make it... It took many hours on many nights to finish cutting all the fringe! But I think it turned out really cute and it looks great on her bed! And now she has something that her mom (and Grandma) made for her!

I pulled out a box full of baby blankets only to discover that they were all pink and covered in flowers... not great for a boy! So I pulled out this cute moose fabric I bought a couple years ago and decided to make some swaddling blankets for Oakley before he was born. I did a hand embroidery stitch along the edge which looks really nice, but took FOREVER!! It was much more complicated to complete than it looks. It is a continuous stitch around the entire blanket and the thread got tangled and knotted on more than one occasion! Trying to keep it all continuous and evenly spaced was a large task. So I just did a top stitch on the other 4 blankets! :)

I also saw this cute zebra fabric and thought it would make a cute carseat canopy. I started this before Oakley's birth, but I wasn't quite done when he decided to come. So, I put the finishing touches on the week we came home. It has been great to have, especially with how fragile he is... it helps keep the germs and the cold out!

So whattaya think? I've never claimed to be a seamstress or a cook... but I think I did a pretty good job! And it got my creative juices flowing. Now I want to do more!! :)

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Looks great!!! Oh, and if you want a great sugar cookie recipe I've got one for you!!!

Manning's said...

I think that I missed out on the domestic gene. Maybe when I grow up I can become creative like you and make cool stuff?? ;)

Ashley Rae said...

Oh my word, woman. Consider me impressed. Love the blankets, especially!!

Shanna said...

Awesome!! I love the rag quilt for Dakota. I made one of those a couple weeks ago when we were snowed in, and my fingers are still recovering from the blisters from cutting it all! Now you've caught the bug - look out :)

Lauren said...

Look at you Miss creative! I agree with Lynn-I missed that gene! Good for you! It all looks wonderful!

Nicole Norris said...

I am totally impressed! You are amazing. Hey I have a gift for you I need to drop off. Let me know when you are up for visitors.