Oakley started sniffling pretty badly the last couple of days and today he started with a cough. I didn't want to risk it getting any worse, especially with how fragile his lungs are. So I called the doctor and they moved his 2 week check up from tomorrow to today.
Bad news: He is sick. He has an infection. Has to start anti-biotics. But the good news is: His lungs are fine! I was so worried we were going to end up back in the NICU. But the doctor thinks we can fight this at home. PHEW!
Other good news: Oakley is weighing in and measuring exactly the same as Dakota for gestational age. Today he was exactly what Dakota was at birth. 5 lbs 14 oz and 18.5" long. And at the same gestational age. That is 2nd percentile for those of you that are wondering. So yeah, I have tiny babies! :) But that means he's gained an ounce a day since we left the hospital which is great! And he's grown a half inch.
His sats were also great off the oxygen at about 96 on his own. So WE GET TO TAKE HIM OFF THE OXYGEN! HOORAY! The doctor examined him and said, "Well, he looks perfect!" which is exactly what a mother likes to hear :) We sure think so. Minus the infection of course...
So I went in preparing for the worst, and came out a very happy mom! Now we just need to kick this infection and avoid all the rest and life will be good!
Aside from all of that.. Oakley is a great baby. He sleeps so quietly and soundly that he might get to share a room with me longer than Dakota did. He eats really well for a preemie. When he is awake, he is super alert and is always looking around with his eyes. He smiles a ton. He is generally always happy unless you're poking him or he's starving. He LOVES to be held and snuggle. And though he's very small, his arms and legs are so long that we had to put him in newborn size clothes. He's really so cute and we are totally in love with him. Dakota is very concerned about him all the time and loves to give him sweet little kisses and hold him occasionally. She's pretty good with him and loves him so much. I think they will be great buddies when he gets a little bigger. So far, he is a great addition to our family! And I'm so happy to have a content snuggly baby. Its a nice balance with the little energizer bunny that he has for a sister! :)
1 comment:
He's so itty-bitty! I'm soooo glad that he's off oxygen, lungs are ok, and he's gaining weight. I hope you all start feeling better soon - to be sick on top of everything else you're going through right now! Love you!!
Post a Comment