4.27.2009

Allergies gone bad...

So I woke up this morning with a sore eye. I thought my allergies which I've had all weekend, just got worse. As the day goes on, My eye is feeling more and more irritated... turning pink, and producing eye gooies. About 1:00, I decide maybe its pink eye and I should go to a doctor. Doctors are booked for the day. I am worried I will give it to Dakota, so I call my OB who I've seen on more occasions than any other doctor in the last two years. My trusty OB will write me a prescription if I come by so they can look at it. By the time I arrive at 3:30, I'm feeling kinda sick and my eye is really starting to hurt. It's blurry too. Doctor walks in, takes ONE look at me and says, "That's not pink eye... With that much swelling in so little time, you need to see an eye doctor!" They proceed to set up an emergency visit to the eye doc across the street. When I get there, he won't even touch me for fear of being infected. "This is severe," he says. Ok, its not like I put this off or anything... I just woke up with it this morning. While he leaves to call IV Therapy, I sneak a look in the mirror. Oh my gosh! My eye has gone from slightly red and irritated, to swollen half shut, red as red, and oozing, I mean oozing, green pussy looking stuff. And my whole eye hurts so bad I can barely blink. This is an extremely acute infection. It is progressing at a rapid rate. I can't believe my eye!

They send me over to IV Therapy for an infusion of anti-biotics hoping that putting the drugs directly into my bloodstream will slow this thing down. They also prescribe me ORAL antibiotics AND eye drops. This thing is serious. They keep reminding me over and over to wash my hands and to be careful. I am very contagious until tomorrow. I ask him how in the world I got this and he says somewhere my allergies turned into a sinus infection... bacteria must have burrowed away in my sinus cavity below my eye and just multiplied and grew until it came oozing out my eye. Literally. I was starting to feel like a patient on HOUSE. (Babe, I think we may be watching a bit too much HOUSE :) )

I come home, and I realize, I am the one-eyed monster. You can barely tell the swelling the size of a baseball around where my left eye should be, that there actually is an eye in there. Even Dakota looks at me puzzled.

This is miserable... I am constantly cleaning green mucus out of my eye and wiping away yellow tears. And my eye hurts, oh how it hurts. They put my baby on anti-biotics just to be safe. I hope I am feeling better tomorrow. They say if this treatment doesn't work and it infects the socket behind my eye, they have to surgically drain it. Please please please let this work. No more surgeries for me please! And please let my baby be okay!

Who expects to wake up one morning feeling decent and 8 hours later have a serious threatening infection taking over your face?? Certainly not eye :)

Look how much the swelling and redness progressed just tonight.... Pretty much wherever you see swelling, there's infection underneath.

6 comments:

danna said...

no fun! hope you get feeling better soon.

Lisa said...

oh my gosh that looks painful. My eyes are tearing up just looking at those photos! I hope it resolves soon!

Our story said...

I'm so sorry,that looks bad.I hope it gets better soon.

Nicole Norris said...

Oh Man!!! Of all the randomness. I hope it gets better soon and you don't have to have surgery. Keep us all posted. I am glad you are taking this all in stride and took pictures. I don't know if I would want this documented.

Lauren said...

Ouch! I can't believe how fast it happened to you. Hope you get better quickly!

Jared and Adrianne Blake said...

Poor chica. I hate to say it, but your luck is insanely unlucky when it comes to your health! Are you feeling better yet? Since you haven't posted an update, I hope that doesn't mean things intensified!! Saying a little prayer for ya...