6.18.2008
Over-Reactive vs Neglectful Mom
Its hard enough being a new mom, but if you haven't experienced it already, let me tell you what happens when you go to the doctor's: First, they treat you like you're just an over-reactive first-time mom and tell you that nothing is wrong with the baby. So, the next time, you blow off every urge or instinct you have to take the baby to the doctor when something doesn't seem right. And then guess what they say? "What took you so long to bring this baby in???" This is what happened to me this week. For the last week or so, Dakota has been irritable and cries tears for what seems like no reason. So, I took her into the doctor about a week ago, and he looked at me like I was crazy and told me she was fine and sent me on my way. But in the last couple days, she's screamed bloody murder every time I try to get her to breastfeed and is having real trouble sleeping. So, today I took her back to the doctor, but decided to see someone new... turns out, two ear infections! I felt so bad. And the doctor told me that it looked like its been building up in there for a while(insinuating I should have brought her in sooner), so I told him that I brought her in last week but nonetheless, I am now deemed the neglectful mom. Where's the line? Anyhow, Dakota is now on antibiotics and is honestly still a very good baby despite the fact that she must be miserable. Eating and sleeping is still a challenge but hopefully that'll get better in the next few days. She's a trooper!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I just want to let you know, I've been there too!
Most pediatricians offer a free "meet and greet" session. I suggest you look into that. And if they don’t offer it for free, then it’s not worth taking your kid to them anyway. Brad and I went to many before we found our pediatrician, it’s your chance to “interview” the doctor. If the pediatrician makes you feel bad, quit going and find another. Remember, you are paying them for a service...you have the right to go whenever you feel like it.
I'm sorry that happened. You're not crazy or neglectful. You're a great mom and doctors are just annoying like that sometimes (okay most of the time) :)
DOctors are hard! We love ours he dosent make me feel silly about the small things but his reaction to it al is "well it could be one of many things and unfortunately there no real way to find out what it is!" ~eeerrr so frustrating! Earaches-tooth coming in colic acid reflux- the list could go on and Heather seems to get it all! Its no fun Im sorry! I hate giving antibiotics!Just think you rather be over protective then not!
Post a Comment