Today, we drove out to the Crawford Mountains near Randolph, UT. I know, I know--you're thinking, where the heck is that?? Let me explain, its a po-dunk little town in the middle of nowhere...near the border of Wyoming and about a half hour away from Bear Lake. The only people there are cowboys. Anyhow, because its in the middle of nowhere, Doug has found it to be a gold mine for sheds. So, today we took Dakota for her first shed hunt. I didn't think we'd do it so early(only two months old), but it turned out to be a pretty enjoyable day. We remembered to cover her in sunscreen first, dressed her warm, and wrapped her up in a cloth sling that a friend made me, so that I could hike around with her, hands-free. The whole thing went rather well. We hiked a ton...I was panting from being so out of shape...9 months of not working out! But carrying Dakota around was no biggy in the sling wrap. And we even brought home a few sheds! The one pictured above was a fresh antler shed from this year, and was in great shape. The best find of the day! If you look closely, you can also see the blue rope that we tied onto Dakota's bink to keep it from landing in the dirt(a baby's way of roughing it). And if any of you have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to sheds... we're talking about the antlers that elk and deer grow each year, and then "shed" in the spring. Hence, we call them sheds. And Doug is obsessed with finding and collecting them. Dakota was great...she actually slept most of the time but enjoyed being slung around and being outdoors as usual. :)
5.24.2008
First Shed Hunting Trip
Today, we drove out to the Crawford Mountains near Randolph, UT. I know, I know--you're thinking, where the heck is that?? Let me explain, its a po-dunk little town in the middle of nowhere...near the border of Wyoming and about a half hour away from Bear Lake. The only people there are cowboys. Anyhow, because its in the middle of nowhere, Doug has found it to be a gold mine for sheds. So, today we took Dakota for her first shed hunt. I didn't think we'd do it so early(only two months old), but it turned out to be a pretty enjoyable day. We remembered to cover her in sunscreen first, dressed her warm, and wrapped her up in a cloth sling that a friend made me, so that I could hike around with her, hands-free. The whole thing went rather well. We hiked a ton...I was panting from being so out of shape...9 months of not working out! But carrying Dakota around was no biggy in the sling wrap. And we even brought home a few sheds! The one pictured above was a fresh antler shed from this year, and was in great shape. The best find of the day! If you look closely, you can also see the blue rope that we tied onto Dakota's bink to keep it from landing in the dirt(a baby's way of roughing it). And if any of you have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to sheds... we're talking about the antlers that elk and deer grow each year, and then "shed" in the spring. Hence, we call them sheds. And Doug is obsessed with finding and collecting them. Dakota was great...she actually slept most of the time but enjoyed being slung around and being outdoors as usual. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment