10.18.2012

My little Ryden turned 1 year old! I can't believe how fast this year flew by. I still remember the first moment I saw him, when they laid him on my chest just moments after his first breath. That moment feels like yesterday. And yet, I have a cute little boy roaming the house, filling our hearts and lives with his sweet spirit.

Our little boy has so much spunk and personality. Since birth, he has done this scrunchy nose smile that can make anyone crack a smile. He smacks his hands against anything he wants like bam-bam. He slaps his tray when he wants food, he pounds the door when he wants one opened... you get the picture. I have a feeling this one might be a little bit of a spit-fire. He knows what he wants and he does NOT like be told NO.

He's a proficient crawler but isn't showing much interest in walking. He is pulling up on things and then letting go and standing on his own, but that is the extent. He did stand up twice on his own in the middle of the room and try to take one step, but that is all.

He sleeps well... a big change from his early infant days. He goes to bed with his bink and blanket with a noise machine and sleeps from about 8am-8pm. He naps 1-2 times a day... two shorter naps or one longer afternoon nap. Just depends on our schedule for the day. He's flexible and easy going for the most part. He finds interests in toys and will play by himself for a period of time, but he also loves family time. He loves chasing his siblings around and being part of family tackles. He thinks his brother and sister are hilarious.

He has 8 teeth and they have really started to define his look. He drinks three 8oz bottles a day of regular milk and eats meals with everyone. He is a good little eater and it's really starting to reflect on the pocketbook. He weighed in at 20lbs 8oz at his 1-year check. And measured 28 inches. He's definitely bigger than my other kids were. Already well into 18 month size clothes.

He really seems to like balls. He loves bath time and swimming and kicks his legs like a little froggy in the water. He loves to go up and down the stairs and just recently learned how to go down even though he's been going up for months. He likes to be outside and loves it when I help him down the slide at the park. He loves Finding Nemo and Baby Einsteins just like the rest! He will spend time in the Jumperoo when I need him to, but he prefers to be free to roam. He is always getting into things he's not suppose to and his current discovery is that he can reach the power button on the TV.

We celebrated his birthday over General Conference weekend while Mima and Grandpa Dave were in town. I will post that separately. But a couple days later, he had a fall and bit thru his bottom lip... completely thru the lip. His front teeth went in the top of the bottom lip and came out on the other side on the bottom of the lip... close to where people often get piercings. Poor little guy. It was awful. He bled a ton and was miserable for days. The ER wouldn't do stitches on him b/c of his age and the location. But a couple days later, it got infected. After 24 hours of being on anti-biotics, he showed significant improvement. After a week it looks SO much better! He may end up with minor scar under his lip, but I'm so happy he is not in so much pain. He was such a trooper thru the whole thing.

Ryden, we love you and you bring so much joy to our family. We're not sure how we ever lived without you. Your brother and sister are just rearing to jump into your crib each morning and see you... they get so excited and can't wait for you to wake up. Oakley feels a particular kinship to you and loves you as his brother. Daddy and I think about your sweet soft squishy cheeks and darling smile and ache to hold and kiss you when you're just in the next room sleeping. We all adore you and are so happy you are ours! Happy birthday baby boy!

1 comment:

Scarlett said...

I can't believe he's a year! I remember when you told me you were pregnant! Time flies by so fast. Your kids are adorable!